The Lunar New Year begins in a few short weeks. This year, it's the Year of the Rabbit beginning on January 22, 2023. Those born in the rabbit year are said to be kind, creative, affectionate, gentle, and talented.
While there are many traditional ways to celebrate the holiday, I've always wanted to create a gift guide amplifying the modern designs and work of Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) artists and makers across the United States.
For the Year of the Rabbit, I'm sharing and highlighting some of the unique, modern gifts being created and designed by female owned, small businesses. Many of these goods were influenced by Asian cultures and family traditions. Much of the featured products are handmade, one at a time or in small batches by the artists' themselves. Enjoy these wonderful goods all year long - beyond the lunar new year!
I've hand-selected a few of my favorite Lunar New Year Gift ideas for gift giving or for enjoying yourself. I hope they bring you joy and happiness as you celebrate the holiday with family and friends!
1. Dim Sum Magnets and Stickers - Mooncake, custard tart, and dumpling created from hand-painted, watercolor illustrations from Kathy Phan of kathyphantastic.
2. Gold Fish Notecards - Letterpress set printed on natural white paper by Shino of Fugu Fugu Press.
3. Zodiac Blocks - Wood Keepsake blocks for each of the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Use as a paperweight or desk accessory from Stacy Wong. What animal are you?
4. Menagerie Bunny Clock - A simple and sweet addition to a modern nursery, child's room or playroom wall by Tree by Kerri Lee.
5. Year of the Rabbit Block - Solid wood keepsake block for the new baby. Hand-printed and hand painted by Stacy Wong.
6. Happy New Year Envelopes - Gold foil, modern paper design by Kirstie Wang of A Jar of Pickles.
7. Lucky Red Envelope Pin - A delicate, enamel pin with the good luck symbol designed by Kirstie Wang from A Jar of Pickles.
8. Floating Lily Pads Washi Tape - An original design based on a watercolor painting by Kimberly Kuniko from Lacelit. Printed on eco-friendly, compostable rice paper.
9. Flower Art Print - A bright, colorful print depicting the flower tiles from mahjong and Asian drinks from Felicia Liang.
10. K(not) Shapes Bag - A hand-stitched, leather bag with a signature, hand-tied knot made by Christine Lau of clau.
11. Oranges Notepad - Featuring cute + cheerful oranges from Pei of The Paper and Craft Pantry Stationery Shop.
12. Fashion Fortune Cookie - A leather cookie shaped by hand from Katrina Espiritu of Lupa Bags. Can be used as a pendant for a necklace or as a keychain accessory.
13. Leather Hong Bao/Lei See Envelope - A card case for good luck everyday by Christine Lau from clau.
Enjoy the gift guide and have a wonderful Lunar New Year and Year of the Rabbit!